Health and safety basics for businesses
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has revised its guidance on basic health and safety for businesses.
The revised version has brought the guidance up to date and clarified some of its key messages but the HSE says the guidance on complying with the law has not been fundamentally changed.
The publication, INDG449 Health and Safety Made Simple: The Basics for Your Business, is designed for employers and those who want some basic information on what they must do to make sure their businesses comply with health and safety law.
The guidance covers:
- Deciding who is responsible for health and safety
- Writing a health and safety policy
- Controlling the risks
- Consulting employees
- Providing training and information
- Providing the right workplace facilities
- Making first-aid arrangements
- Reporting accidents
- Displaying a legal poster
- Obtaining insurance for the business.
INDG449 forms part of the HSE’s ABC series, which consist of tools and pieces of guidance specifically designed for small or medium-sized business, whether new to health and safety, an experienced company or an expanding business.